Independent Living and Community Participation
- ABILITY House
- Ability House provides affordable, accessible housing for low-income families where one or more members have a disability; make decent shelter that is accessible and visitable a matter of public conscience and highlight the skills, volunteering potential and mentoring capabilities of people with disabilities.
- Housing and Mortgages Tutorial for People with Disabilities from www.mortgageloans.com.
- Independent Living Research Utilization (ILRU)
- The ILRU program is a national center for information, training, research, and technical assistance in independent living.
Phone: 713/520-0232 (V/TTY)
ILRU Directory of CILs and Associations: www.ilru.org/projects/cil-net/cil-center-and-association-directory.
- Institute on Community Integration (ICI)
- ICI Main Phone: 612/624-6300
- National Council on Independent Living (NCIL)
- Toll Free: 877/525-3400 (V/TTY), 703/525-3406 (V), 703/525-4153 (TTY)
- Statewide Independent Living Councils (SILCs)
- 4 Paws for Ability
- Phone: 937/374-0385
- Bergin University of Canine Studies home of the Assistance Dog Institute (ADI)
- Phone: 707/545-3647
- Canine Companions
- Canine Companions provides assistance dogs to people with developmental or physical disabilities who can demonstrate that a Canine Companion will enhance their independence or quality of life.
Toll Free: 800/572-2275, 866/224-3647 (National Headquarters)
Locate a Regional Office: canine.org/location.
- Guide Dog Foundation For The Blind, Inc.
- Toll Free: 800/548-4337, 631/930-9000
- Guide Dogs of America
- Toll Free: 800/459-4843, 818/362-5834
- International Hearing Dog, Inc. (IHDI)
- Phone: 303/287-3277 (V/TTD)
- Leader Dogs for the Blind
- Toll Free: 888/777-5332, 248/651-9011 (V), 248/651-3713 (TTY); Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. EST
- National Education for Assistance Dogs Services (NEADS)
- Phone: 978/422-9064 (V/TTD)
- Pet Partners – Animal-Assisted Interactions
- Phone: 425/679-5500
- Not finding what you need? Search our Knowlegebase of disability and rehabilitation resources: http://www.ilru.org