Where can I find transportation services?

Transportation services can vary - depending on where you live. However, there are plenty of resources available:

  • Centers for Independent Living can also assist you in locating reputable transportation services, including their own. Find a CIL near you.
  • For other para-transit resources in rural areas, you can visit the National Rural Transit Assistance Program (RTAP) to chat with or email a specialist. You can also call them at 888/589-6821.
  • Your local subway or transit authority can provide information and resources on what services they provide. You can contact the US Department of Transportation's Federal Transit Administration for more information.
  • The National Center on Senior Transportation (NCST) is a great resource for older adults who want to live more independently within their communities. The Center provides great information for seniors on transportation providers and programs, safe driving programs, mobility options and so on.
  • If you are traveling away from home, there are several resources available:
    • Amtrak provides travel services for people with disabilities.
    • The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) provides a help line (855/787-2227 - travelers who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to contact the help line or they can email the TSA at ContactCenter@dhs.gov) which answers questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the security checkpoint. They recommend that travelers call the help line at least 72 hours before traveling. Their website provides links at the bottom of the page that provide specific information about what to expect for passengers with different disabilities.